Article provided by: Cancer Care of West Central Ohio
It takes one routine physical exam to turn your life forever. You may only experience bouts of diarrhea and anemic symptoms without thinking you are a colon cancer candidate. Colon cancer is not diagnosable with a Google search but may become apparent when it eventually spreads to the liver and other tissues and organs.
Treating colon cancer does not have to be as scary as the discovery moment. It would help if you never gave in to the illness with all the current technological advances that support cancer treatment. Cancer Care of West Central Ohio has enough treatment varieties to get the right approach for your disease level. The colon cancer screening specialist can help you consider all treatment modules to get the most comprehensive treatment guide.
Medical professionals involved in treating colon cancer
- Oncology nurse
- Social worker
Factors determining the treatment type
The patient’s medical conditions and history
- Overall health
- Potential side effects
- Additional medication
- The patient’s nutrition
- The patient’s social support during treatment
Understanding colon cancer treatment
Colon cancer and rectal cancer surgery is the most popular colon cancer treatment and involves removing tumors in the colon’s affected section. Most surgeries involve cutting the colon to fetch out the tumor then reattaching the parts. Some rare cases include removing the entire intestine to target all cancer cells.
Certain drugs can inhibit the advance of colon cancer in Lima Ohio. They contain checkpoint inhibitors to treat metastatic tumors. The checkpoint inhibitors block specific receptors and work well with a combination of treatments to increase the chances of healing.
- These drugs destroy cancer cells to impede their growth. There are two types of chemo applicable for colon cancer treatment.
- Neoadjuvant chemo – It is best before a colon surgery to reduce the size of the tumor
- Adjuvant chemo – It destroys cancer cells that remain after surgery to lower the risk of recurrent cancer
Radiation therapy is the best option for colon cancer treatment due to the following reasons:
- It can shrink the tumor, so it is easy to remove
- The therapy kills cancer cells left after surgery.
- It is a good option for anyone who does not want to undergo surgery.
- Radiation therapy is a palliative treatment that shrinks tumors to prevent blocks in the intestine.
- Radiation is an excellent treatment in addition to chemotherapy.
Target therapy is the type that leverage’s the body’s natural immunity to destroy cancer cells. It is applicable as a solo treatment or with a combination of other cancer treatment programs.
Does the treatment always work?
The Colon cancer screening clinic does not offer guaranteed healing. They, however, offer a better chance for recovery in comparison to all other cancer treatments. It is best to talk to our doctor about advanced colon cancer in Lima, Ohio, if you want to understand your bets for recovery with either of our treatments. Call our office on to speak to a doctor and book a consultation session.